Saturday, January 18, 2020

Weekly WIP update 1.17.20

I only had a few days of stitching this week. I worked on Spring Robin for Mill Hill Monday SAL which takes place on Facebook. I stitch on it every Monday so it always gets a little love. 
Spring Robin by Mill Hill 1.16.20

I had a new start this week. Hariet Hartland, 1782 by Hands Across the Sea Samplers. I am stitching on 40 count cream linen by Zweigart with the called for threads, Au Ver à Soie d'Alger. 
Hariet Hartland, 1782 by Hands Across the Sea Samplers 1.16.20

This was supposed to be my 'New Year, New Start', however I couldn't decide whether or not I should stitch in hand or with a frame. I was concerned about having to wash it if I stitched in hand due to transfer of oils from my hands to the linen and silks. It was suggested that I wash the reds and see if they bleed before starting in hand which I haven't, yet, done. Like a lunatic without a care in the world I went ahead and started stitching in hand. I am still not sure if I should continue or put it in a scroll frame or Qsnap. Sigh. I am open to constructive suggestions and opinions. What do you do?

Both of these projects were used in the School of Magical Stitches and Literature challenges. Spring Robin fit a challenge and I used Hariet Hartland for penalty stitches. They are also adding to stitches in the Landmark Challenge in Semi Sane Stitchers.

This weekend is International Hermit & Stitch Weekend and the timing is perfect as we are expecting a little snow this afternoon so I'm going to rush through my chores so I can have some extensive stitching time. A girl can dream, right?

5 comments:

  1. The Spring Robin is very sweet and you've made a good start on your new sampler. I stitch everything in hand, even my larger projects including my Chatelaine. I've never had an issue because I roll the fabric with the stitching on the inside. So my hands only hold the back of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I really appreciate your insight. I also roll my fabric and hold the reverse side. I don't know why I was having so much anxiety about stitching this piece in hand.

      I'm impressed that you stitch your Chatelaine in hand. Do you do so for the specialty stitches as well? Your Gardens of London is lovely.

      Delete
  2. I love your new start! Those greens are gorgeous! And such a sweet little robin. I can't wait to see them in real life hopefully sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always stitch by hand - I just cannot use a hoop.

    ReplyDelete