Sunday, March 1, 2020

February WIPocalypse check in

Let's just move on from the fact that I missed the January check in and I'm a day late on the February check in.

Since the initial WIPocalypse post in early January I've worked on Hariet Hartland and Spring Robin.

Hariet Hartland, 1782
Hands Across the Sea Samplers
03.01.20

Hariet Hartland is so lovely in real life. The cover photos on the patterns really don't do them justice. It's been a joy to stitch. I have finished page 1 and most of page 2 except for the text. I am planning on changing the text although I'm not sure what I'll choose which will leave me with an awful lot of over one stitching at the end.

Spring Robin
Mill Hill
03.01.20
I've made a little progress on Spring Robin. I try to take it out every Monday for Mill Hill Monday SAL on Facebook.

I also started Shabbat Tabletopper by Dutch Treat Designs
and picked up an old WIP I didn't originally include in WIPocalypse, Garden Window by Tiny Modernist.

Shabbat Tabletopper
Dutch Treat Designs
03.01.20

Garden Window
Tiny Modernist
03.01.20


Our WIPocalypse question of the month: In honor of “Leap Year,” tell the story of a time you had to make some sort of a “leap” in stitching – taking the chance on a new style of stitching, attending a meetup or class, etc.

I stitched a little as a young adult but gave it up for a couple of decades while raising my kids. When my daughter started college I got the itch to stitch and ordered a simple kit off of Amazon. While stitching that lovely pattern I discovered Chatelaine Designs. Chatelaine's appear very complicated and they use materials and stitches that were new to me. These designs were well beyond my abilities but, I LOVED the pattern and had to have it. I figured I'd find tutorials to help me figure out the new stitches along the way. And I did.

That's pretty much how I always decide my pieces. Do I love it? Will it be interesting to stitch? I believe I can figure out, with the help of cross stitch friends, groups and youtube tutorials. Yes, I've made mistakes, but I've always learned from them and they've made me a better stitcher.


6 comments:

  1. I have yet to find a cover image that matches the goodness of the design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR?!?! So many times I've seen people working on patterns that took my breath away that I had originally discounted based on the cover photo.

      Delete
  2. Harriet does look wonderful! Such gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!! Everything is gorgeous! And I love your stitching story. So glad you found stitching again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Khristine! I'm glad I found stitching again and celebrate all the new friendships I've developed through this craft. :)

      Delete